Construction sites should be safe and compliant with OSHA standards but that isn’t always the case so you or a loved one may need our Houston Construction Accident Lawyer. The reality is that these requirements are not adequately met and accidents happen. Unfortunately, construction accidents and workplace accidents are far too common, and that is why construction is classified among the most dangerous lines of work.
These accidents often result in severe injuries or even death. Our construction accident law firm has a construction accident lawyer in Houston, Tx, ready to help you get the right compensation if you sustained personal injuries or lost a loved one in a construction accident.
Our clients highly recommend Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC, as a Houston construction accident attorney who has been helping construction accident victims and other personal injury victims for almost 20 years with great success. We are 5 star reviewed by Google. You are more than just a mere case number to our construction accident lawyer. Contact us today for a free consultation so we can provide you the legal advice you need and so you know all your legal options.
Why Choose Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC as your construction accident Lawyer?
Houston, TX, has several construction accident lawyers available for you. However, not every construction accident lawyer is the same nor will they all deliver great results. At Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC, our law firm takes pride in being one of the best law firms in Houston when it comes to personal injury cases like your construction accident claim. We think you should choose us because of the following:
- Experience- our construction accident lawyer has 19 years of experience in construction accident cases
- Complex legal process- construction accident claims can be complex
- Aggressive approach- our personal injury lawyer uses an aggressive approach
- Team of experts- we have access to a team of experts during the valuation of your claim and provide technical advice
- Client-centered services-
- Free consultation- talk with our construction accident lawyer directly
- Contingency basis – no out of pocket fees
Contact us today for a free consultation and free case evaluation. It doesn’t matter how complicated the case or who we are going up against; we are prepared to get you top compensation.
Construction Accident Statistics
Construction sites are dangerous and here are the stats.
Bureau of Labor Statistics for construction accident
There are almost 200,000 construction accident injuries annually, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The figure averages to 500 injuries per day. Several of these personal injuries from construction accident cases require emergency room visits and hospitalization. Fatalities are quite high with 47% of fatal work injuries due to construction accidents.
Workers on their first year of employment are high risk as they account for 60% of construction accident injuries. No wonder there is a need for construction accident lawyers!
Occupational Safety and Health Administration Statistics
Annually, 1 in every 10 construction workers is injured, according to OSHA. The statistics show that construction accident deaths are high and account for 1 in 5 worker deaths annually in the private sector.
Leading causes of construction accident fatalities in the private sector are:
- Workers struck by an object
- Workers caught in something or between objects
These causes are called the ‘Fatal Four’ and are responsible for 58.6% of construction worker fatalities. If you or a co-worker has experienced a ‘Fatal Four’ incident we highly recommend you call a Houston construction accident lawyer for legal advice.
Financial Implication Construction Site and job site accidents
The construction industry spends 71% more on workers’ comp claims than all the goods-producing industries combined. This signals a significant safety problem in the construction industry. Construction accident lawyers in Houston can help you establish negligence and pursue a personal injury claim against a third-party or your employer.
Always ensure you report the construction accident as it qualifies you for compensation. Although it might seem obvious, about half of injuries at the workplace go unreported.
Even though the above statistics are at the national level, Houston, Texas, is not any different. Let our law firm assist you in getting the money you deserve for your personal injuries.
Types of Construction Accidents in Houston, TX
Construction sites have a wide variety of potential hazards and the types of accidents are highly varied. Our construction accident lawyer in Houston, TX, handles the following common types of construction accidents:
- Falls from a height– roofing accidents, scaffolding accidents, ladder accidents, and other falls from heights can be tragic and potentially fatal
- Slip and fall accidents– wet floors, electrical cords, objects on the floor, and other hazards can result in slips and falls on the construction site
- Fires and explosions– gas leaks, fires, and explosions are often sudden and deadly and can result in many different kinds of injuries
- Machinery accidents– heavy machines used in construction can cause accidents when they malfunction, or their operator is negligent
- Crane or hoist accidents– inadequate training, operator errors, or malfunction can result in serious construction accidents
- Forklift accidents– forklifts can be dangerous when operated without proper training or attentiveness
- Welding and ironwork accidents– poor maintenance, inadequate adherence to safety protocols, and other factors can put welders and ironworkers at risk of construction accidents
- Accidents with falling objects– workers can be injured if measures are not taken to prevent tools, debris, or other objects from falling
- Ladder accidents– falling from a ladder can result in life-threatening injuries
- Trench accidents– the collapse of a trench or an accident within a trench is devastating as the worker might be trapped inside
- Building collapse– anything that impairs the structural integrity of a building might result in its collapse and injury to construction workers
- Elevator shaft accidents– workers might fall down the elevator shaft if the necessary safety measures aren’t in place
- Electrical accidents– electrical equipment, wiring, overhead electrical wires, and lightning can result in electrocution of construction workers
- Vehicle accidents– workers can get struck by motor vehicles on the site of construction
- Caught-between accidents– a workers limb or their entire body may be caught in between equipment or debris
- Dangerous chemicals– breathing in of dangerous chemicals or toxins can cause severe respiratory injury
Our experienced construction accident lawyer in Houston, Tx, can help you get back on your feet no matter the type of accident.
Common Construction Accident Injuries
The types of sustained personal injuries in construction accidents vary. Commonly reported construction accident injuries in Houston, TX, include:
- Broken bones- fractures of the bones in the legs and arms are common and often require extensive surgery
- Amputations- construction accidents can result in the amputation of fingers, toes, or even an entire limb
- Burns- fires, explosions, and electrocution result in burns that can be potentially life-threatening and very costly to treat besides serious lasting effects
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)- can result from falls or falling objects and may result in physical, cognitive, and behavioral challenges
- Head injury- workers may also sustain eye injury or vision loss, ear injury or hearing loss, scalp lacerations, fracture of the skull, and injuries on the face
- Spinal cord injury- may cause complete or incomplete paralysis depending on the severity and the level of injury of the spine
- Neck and back injury- strains, sprains, and disc injury can result in chronic pain and physical limitation requiring surgery or costly rehabilitation
- Shoulder, knee, or ankle injury- construction accidents can result in sprains and overuse damage involving major joints
- Exposure to toxic chemicals- may cause skin damage or injury of the airway and lungs of the worker
- Emotional trauma- many of the construction accidents are horrific and often result in injuries that cause emotional pain and suffering and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Wrongful death- the accident can be severe enough to result in death
You need a comprehensive initial free case review of your construction accident claim by a Houston construction accident lawyer
A free case review of your construction accident claim by a construction accident attorney can help protect your legal right to full compensation. Have our construction accident attorney review your claim today.
What to Do After a Construction Accident
When a construction accident happens remain calm to prevent further injuries, ensure optimal health recovery and qualify for full compensation. The law firm of Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC recommends that you take the following steps:
- Get to safety- to prevent further injuries
- Call 911- request for EMS
- Report the construction accident to your employer
- Make necessary documentation- the sequence of events leading to accident and action taken
- Seek medical attention- address any injuries and get medical records
- Contact an experienced construction accident lawyer- consider our attorney to represent you
Texas Laws Applicable to Construction Accidents
You deserve compensation if you get injured or lose a loved one due to a construction accident. However, not all construction accident cases are the same. Several laws can apply to a construction accident claim. Here are the laws that apply to these cases in Houston, Texas.
Texas Workers Compensation Act
Some employers subscribe to workers’ compensation or other occupational safety insurance plan. The workers comp laws are found in the Texas Workers Compensation Act. This insurance covers injuries sustained by workers on construction sites and other work places.
You qualify for workers’ comp if you were injured while working. The advantage of this compensation is that you don’t have to prove that there was negligence. Qualification is automatic as long as you were injured at the workplace. All you have to do is fill out and submit DWC form 041.
On the downside, this “insurance coverage” granted to employees also protects employers from liability in case of a construction accident and work place injury lawsuits. You cannot sue your employer for construction accident injuries when they have the workers comp. However, you may sue a third-party which was the cause of the injury.
Non Subscriber Laws for Work injuries
Employers may choose not to have workers’ compensation coverage for their workers and employees. Such employers are referred to as non-subscribers. In case of construction accidents, non-subscriber laws of Texas apply.
If you have such an employer and get injured or lose a loved one in a construction accident, you will need to pursue a personal injury claim. You must prove that there was a fault on the part of the employer that resulted in the construction accident.
But how do you know if your employer is a non-subscriber?
Our Houston construction accident lawyer can investigate your case and establish whether your employer is a non-subscriber. He will also determine the best approach to your construction accident personal injury claim to ensure you get fully compensated.
An advantage of Non-Subscriber laws is that you can sue your employer and stand a better chance of getting more compensation. It, however, needs an aggressive construction accident lawyer who will stop at nothing until you win. And that is our commitment at the law firm of Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC.
What if I was injured at the construction site by a third party and not my employer?
Besides your employer, there might be a third party, who contributed to the construction accident resulting in your injuries. There is a provision that allows you as a victim to seek compensation for your damages from a third party. You can make a third party claim and get compensation on top of the compensation provided by your employer.
Third parties that can be held responsible include:
- Property owners
- General contractors
- Architectures of the buildings on the site
- Equipment manufacturers
- Utility companies
Duties owed to workers by a third party at the construction site or Job site
Once you retain our construction accident lawyer, our law firm will investigate all parties to determine which ones are liable for your construction accident. The above mentioned third-parties are just examples and can include several entities. Equipment manufacturers doesn’t only mean heavy equipment but can also mean defective protective gear such as safety harnesses and hard hats. Our personal injury law firm can prove the following requirements for a third-party claim to hold:
- That the party accused owed you a duty of care
- The party violated this duty by being negligent
- The violation of that particular duty resulted in the accident that caused you the injuries
You are going through a hard time, and therefore our work place accident law firm will do everything possible to ensure you get the necessary financial recovery to help you cope.
Damages Available in Construction Accident Claims
Construction accident claim can be different than other personal injury claims. Here are the damages available to you as a construction accident victim:
- Medical bills- current and estimated future medical expenses
- Lost wages- current and estimated future expenses
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Partial or full disability
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
A construction accident attorney in Houston, Texas, can help expedite the process by ensuring you win fast.
Call Us Today
Give us a call today and let our workplace and construction accident lawyer discuss your legal options during the free consultation. You don’t have to bear the burden of construction accident injuries alone. Contact us so our law firm can assist you with your construction accident or jobsite injury claim. Our personal injury law firm was founded in Houston, Texas and we have offices in Austin and Victoria and have helped injury victims throughout Texas and the United States get the compensation they deserve.
All rights reserved 2021