Rollover accidents are some of the most dangerous types of accidents because they involve a car drastically losing control. However, they are also relatively rare because many things have to go wrong for a vehicle to roll over onto its side or roof. Rollover accidents can be troublesome to the people involved in the accident as well as other people on the road. That is because a rollover accident can take a much longer time to clean up than other types of accidents, which could affect the flow of traffic for some time.
Those involved in the crash will have more immediate concerns because a Houston rollover crash could result in serious injuries and heavy damage to their vehicle. For those involved in the crash who were not at fault, they could receive compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company for their damages. If the accident victims want the best chance of getting the compensation they need, they should contact Houston car accident lawyer Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC. He has over two decades of experience helping car crash victims from all over Houston and he will use his considerable experience and expertise to help you as well. A rollover accident can be complicated, so you will need his help every step of the way.
What Causes a Rollover Crash?
A rollover crash is when a vehicle ends up on its side or roof after an accident. These are among the rarest kinds of car accidents, but also some of the most dangerous. Taller vehicles like SUVs or pickup trucks are more prone to rollovers than smaller vehicles, but a rollover could happen to anyone. The following are some of the reasons why rollover accidents happen:
- Speeding – When a driver is going too fast, it is easy for them to lose control of their vehicle and a high-speed crash could cause a rollover accident if the driver clips a curb, median, or another vehicle.
- Tire Defects – If a tire blows out or loses its tread while the driver is traveling at moderate or high speeds, it could lead to them losing control of their vehicle. That loss of control could cause a rollover if the driver tries to change direction too suddenly.
- Cornering Too Fast – Some sports and performance cars are designed to take sharp corners at high speeds. However, ordinary vehicles do not have that capability and if a driver tries to take a sharp turn too quickly, their vehicle could tip over onto its side. This is more likely to happen if the vehicle has a high center of gravity, like an SUV or minivan.
- Dangerous Road Conditions – These could include slippery roads, poor visibility, or large potholes. Any of those conditions could result in a driver losing control of their vehicle, which hits an obstacle that causes it to roll over.
Why Rollover Accidents Are So Dangerous
According to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), rollover accidents only account for roughly 2% of all car accidents, but they cause about 35% of all accident fatalities. The main reason rollover accidents are so dangerous is that the driver could get ejected from the vehicle while the vehicle is rolling over. While there have been some reports of people emerging relatively unscathed after being flung from their vehicle, in most cases, the person is severely injured or even killed. That is because they experience a sudden, high-velocity impact, which could cause broken bones, spinal injuries, internal injuries, and traumatic brain injuries.
Even if someone does not get ejected from their vehicle during a rollover, they could still be severely injured. The reason is that they could be jerked around as the car rolls over, causing stress to different parts of their body. They could also be struck by flying objects within the vehicle while it is rolling over. Occupants of the vehicle could also be struck by the roof or other parts of the vehicle as they crumple inward during the crash.
Contact Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC If You Were Injured in a Houston Rollover Accident
A rollover accident can be extremely dangerous and it can be complicated because it might not be easy to prove who was responsible for the accident. Fortunately, Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC has the knowledge and experience you need to help sort out the complications involved in a Houston rollover accident to discover who was at fault. He knows how devastating these accidents can be, which is why he will work thoroughly and diligently to establish the liability of the at-fault party and get you the compensation you desperately need.
In the unfortunate event that the rollover accident results in a fatality, he will help you initiate a wrongful death claim to alleviate the expenses caused by the loss of a loved one. The consequences of a rollover accident can be devastating, which is why you should contact Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC as soon as possible after you were involved in one. He will give you the help you need.
- dog bites and dog attacks,
- trucking accidents,
- car accidents,
- construction accidents,
- uber accidents,
- boating accidents,
- work accidents,
- slip and falls,
- bike accidents,
- accidente de carro and
- other cases when someone is seriously injured by the negligence or carelessness of another.