One of the most common causes of car accidents on the roads of Houston is reckless driving. This may seem similar to aggressive driving, which is another cause of accidents. While there are some similarities between both of those types of driving, there are many differences as well. One thing they both have in common is that they can cause car accidents that leave a lot of injuries and property damage in their wake. That means victims of those accidents will need to be compensated for the losses caused by the accident.
If those victims want the best chance of compensation, then they should contact Houston car accident attorney Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC. With over two decades of helping clients from all across Houston with their car accident cases, he has the knowledge, experience, and savvy that you need. Jerome O. Fjeld will help you in all aspects of your case, such as gathering evidence of the reckless driver’s culpability, calculating your damages, negotiating with the driver’s insurance company, and more. So if you were injured by a reckless driver in Houston, contact Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC as soon as possible.
What is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving is when a person operates their vehicle with a disregard for the safety of others or of property. This is different from mere negligence because the person makes a conscious decision to perform this kind of behavior, whereas negligence is usually a result of a mistake. Reckless driving can include the following types of behavior:
- Speeding – This is one of the most common kinds of reckless driving and it usually involves people driving at extremely high speeds. Whereas most people will usually drive 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit, a reckless driver might exceed the speed limit by 50 MPH or more. That can limit the driver’s reaction time, increase the braking distance of their vehicle, and cause calamitous accidents.
- Running Red Lights or Stop Signs – Reckless drivers will usually ignore traffic signals or attempt to go past a light that has recently turned red. That greatly increases the chances of the driver T-boning or getting T-boned by another vehicle. Ignoring traffic signals can be particularly dangerous if the driver ignores the warning light at a railway crossing. If they attempt to beat an approaching train, the consequences could be deadly.
- Weaving In and Out of Traffic – Drivers who are constantly switching lanes in an attempt to get ahead of traffic put other drivers in danger. That is because the other drivers have to react to a vehicle suddenly cutting in front of them. If a driver does not react in time or the reckless driver miscalculates their speed or how much space they have, that could cause an accident involving multiple vehicles.
- Street Racing – This might seem like a glamorous, exciting activity, but it is highly dangerous, especially if it takes place on a busy, public road. If drivers want to put their tuned-up cars to the test, they should rent a racetrack and avoid putting innocent drivers at risk.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol – It’s easy to see why this is reckless because a driver under the influence is not fully in control of their faculties. That means they might not be able to react in time to emergency situations or will make the wrong decision when they do.
There are other types of reckless driving behavior such as texting while driving, failing to yield to other drivers, and more. As long as a driver displays a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of others, they are being reckless.
The Penalties for Reckless Driving in Houston
Since reckless driving is so dangerous, the penalties in Houston and the rest of Texas can be severe. In Texas, reckless driving is a hybrid misdemeanor offense that is somewhere between a Class B and Class C misdemeanor. The penalties can include a fine of up to $200 and a maximum of 30 days in jail. The reckless driver could also get points on their driving record, the suspension of their license, increased car insurance payments or loss of insurance altogether, probation, and more.
There could be collateral consequences as well since a reckless driving charge could impact other aspects of their life such as their employment status if their job requires driving, their ability to get a job, and even child custody decisions.
Contact Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC If You Were Injured By a Reckless Driver
A reckless driver can cause a lot of damage, which is why you will need compensation if you were injured by one. Personal injury attorney Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC can help you prove the reckless driver’s liability to their insurance company so that you can receive the compensation you need. So give Jerome O. Fjeld, PLLC a call as soon as you can if you were injured by a reckless driver in Houston.
- dog bites and dog attacks,
- trucking accidents,
- car accidents,
- construction accidents,
- uber accidents,
- boating accidents,
- work accidents,
- slip and falls,
- bike accidents,
- accidente de carro and
- other cases when someone is seriously injured by the negligence or carelessness of another.